Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Toyota Safety Recall Information

Please read carefully:

Toyota announced 1/26/10 a temporary stop sale on most vehicles that it builds in the United States. This is what I know as of 1/27/2010. I spoke with our district manager last night. There are two manufacturers for the accelerator pedals that Toyota uses, Denso and CTS. I believe that Denso produces the pedals for Lexus and the Japanese built Toyotas as well as all Scions, and CTS produces most of the pedals for the vehicles produced here. The vehicles with the CTS pedal are the ones affected.

The included vehicles are: Toyota, Avalon, Corporate, Camry (some), Corolla, Matrix, Highlander, RAV4, Sequoia, Tundra.

If you own one of these cars, you are not affected: All Lexus or Scion, also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser, Highlander hybrids and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale.

This is not the same recall that requires shortening the accelerator pedal so that it does not come in contact with the floor mat! Unfortunately the 911 call from a related incident has been incorrectly re-played by some of the media. It is unfortunate and also incorrect.

Jim McNatt Toyota joined a conference call held by Toyota officials for Gulf State Toyota dealers,and during the question and answer period it was asked if anyone had any vehicle in service or heard of any issue with a sticking pedal and not one dealer had or even heard of one. I believe the problem is that the pedals may become sticky over time and I have seen my share of 300,000 plus mile Toyota's since I began here in ’05. Toyota is an ultra conservative company, that is why the stopped sale on the effected cars. I also, believe this is the main reason they have the excellent reputation for quality.

As posted in my previous blogs, I used to bleed Ford blue. I had a big chip on my shoulder back in '05 when I started here about what I believed as "So Called Toyota Quality". As I stated, I have seen more than my share of 300,000 mile Toyota's. I now believe them to be the best car manufacturer provide the best quality, long lasting vehicles that my precious money can buy. My chip is long gone.

Here is the fix: Denso is ramping up production and will begin producing enough pedals to change out all of the CTS pedals in as little as 14 days.

If you are experiencing a sticky pedal: Call our service department (888-285-2372) so an appointment can be scheduled. Although extremely rare, for those experiencing a sticky pedal, transportation will be provided to you and no cost. The symptoms may present as such: The condition does not occur suddenly. It can occur when the pedal mechanism becomes worn and, in certain conditions, the accelerator pedal may become harder to depress, slower to return or, in the worst case, stuck in a partially depressed position.

You may call the Toyota Cares hotline at 800-331-4331 between the hours of 5am to 6pm Mon-Fri and Sat 7am to 4pm. Click www.toyota.com for latest details.

Update 1/28/10 Statement from Toyota on Supplier CTS
http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/manufacturing/statement-from-toyota-on-supplier-153203.aspx


Toyota Motor Engineering & Manufacturing North America (TEMA) has been working closely with supplier CTS on a revised design that effectively remedies the problem associated with accelerator pedals. Pedals featuring the revised design are now in full production at CTS to support Toyota’s needs. Meanwhile, we are also working with them to test effective modifications to existing pedals in the field that will be rolled out as quickly as possible.

“We commend CTS for working diligently and collaboratively to find a solution to the potential problem and in developing a new design,” said Chris Nielsen, TEMA’s Vice President of Purchasing. “CTS is a long-term and valued supplier to us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment